Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chemo treatment #5 was completed on Wednesday, Oct. 31. I was anxious about this treatment, because it was the first time a new drug was used, which can cause some pretty extreme reactions when it is administered. (Including what my oncologist described as "experiencing an impending sense of doom." Gee, that's great, especially given the fact that I started this treatment on HALLOWE'EN!) As per usual, my worries were a waste, because all went very well. So much so, that the nurse commented at the end of the session that "this was one of the smoothest administrations of this drug" that he'd experienced. WHEW! I continue to say thank you for your prayers - as my body undergoes this onslaught, I continue to experience strength and grace in the midst of the side effects. The only explanation I have is that I am being sustained by the many prayers being offered on my behalf.
As to the side effects: Thankfully, the nausea is not nearly as bad with this particular drug. The trade off though is that I will have some pain to cope with in my joints and limbs. Today my devotions reminded me that this too shall pass: "We wish you could see how all this is working out for your benefit, and how the more grace God gives, the more thanksgiving will resound to his glory. This is the reason why we never collapse. The outward man does indeed suffer wear and tear, but every day the inward man receives fresh strength. These little troubles (which are really so transitory) are winning for us a permanent, glorious and solid reward out of all proportion to our pain. For we are looking all the time not at the visible things but at the invisible. The visible things are transitory: it is the invisible things that are really permanent." (2 Cor. 4:15-18). The wear and tear of chemo will pass; the grace of God will sustain. Isn't that awesome?

1 comment:

  1. Cindi and Pete - we support you and pray with you during this difficult journey. Our trials continue to refine us and develop our character. We never want them or ask for them, but we all get them. May the Lord continue to sustain you and bring more revelation to you as you progress and complete this journey!

    ReplyDelete