Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The roads we travel down


Yesterday I celebrated 13 years of marriage with the woman I love. I am amazed that she loves me back and celebrate that every day. We went out and spent the day prepping food for some of the poorer people in Kitchener. Then we spent the evening serving close to 200 meals to those precious people. Some friends joined us and it was good.
Cool thing happened. About two thirds of the way through the evening, we were called over to a table where some of the guests had finished their meals. A woman named Cat was playing her guitar. they had found out it was our anniversary and played and sang us a song...a hymn actually...and we joined in. What a wonderful gift. Amazing moment!

Today we went to the hospital for a meeting with the oncologist around follow up treatment for Cindi's cancer. When we were done we were scared and wondering how we ended up on this new road. 4 months of aggressive chemo every two weeks, no hair, sick, aches, nerve damage and on and on. We both left feeling stunned but knowing this was a journey we had to make. Cindi went to get her hair cut - prepping herself for all hair gone at about 3-4 weeks. I went off to a BBQ with the staff at the church. Cool thing happened. I was sharing the news with everyone and how I was afraid but wanted to be real honest and honour God. I broke down a bit and my fellow church workers, my team, my friends gathered around and prayed for Cindi and I. I could hear their tears and feel their touch and I knew I was not alone in any of this.

Following Jesus is hard. People get up in your face about religion. People challenge you at levels that are difficult to deal with, call you misled or brainwashed or foolish to believe in such stupidity. It can be a conversation ender when someone asks what I do for a living. I find myself deeply sad for people at times. I find myself angry at times with people who sit still too long and seems not to respond to injustices. Yes following Jesus is hard.

But last night it was awesome to follow Jesus and in the midst of the work be singing a worship song to Him with newfound friends. And today it was awesome to follow Jesus as people I have worked with gathered around and asked God for healing, for strength and perseverance for Cindi and I. It is still hard following Jesus (not so hard to believe in Him but definitely hard following Him) .

However, I don't know how we would walk this road without the strength and grace He shows us. Not sure how others may go this road alone. So I wont go this road alone. I have Cindi, I have friends and family and I have amazing expressions of love all around me. One day at a time. And He tells us that His power is made perfect in our weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment