Thursday, August 30, 2012

wondering about things



How many times have we engaged the questions like "Why does God allow suffering?" This has been on my mind over the past little while but I'm not really asking the question. I'm surprised by that. In the midst of a mess that seems to be a common question.
The answer has already been given to us if we have read through Scripture. Suffering in life is like air. It simply exists. "In this life you will have troubles..." is one quote that comes to mind. Jesus hung out with His friends over a meal and said that He had been looking forward to this before He had to go through His own suffering. There are so many stories about suffering and tragedy in the Bible and frankly, all around us every day. I met a woman in Nicaragua one night while I was hanging out with a friend and visiting people in a little barrio in Managua. She had an inoperable brain tumour. Was God there? I believe so.
Our culture is one that preaches comfort, success and freedom from hardships. I am clearly not sure that is the best for us. No one seems to reach the lofty goal of comfort, success and freedom and everyone seems to have to travel the harder roads - some more than others.

We all pass away. There will be a time when we are no longer here - guaranteed. Perhaps it is not about the specific circumstances but more about the journey. How will we walk through these dark valleys? How will we cope and comfort one another and posture ourselves in the messes?
This Lord is my shepherd, my example, my guide. He promised to lead us beside still waters, lay us down in beautiful green pastures and restore our soul. Even though we are at the end of it all in our journey, he says He is there to guide and to comfort. That is something we choose to believe and rely on.
Why does God allow suffering? Perhaps because He must. Perhaps because in that suffering we turn to Him and begin to really live. It doesn't fit our cultural norms but...If He is the God of the broken, I choose to be broken and choose Him as my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment